The FT232R is a USB to serial UART
interface with the following advanced
• Single chip USB to asynchronous serial data
• Entire USB protocol handled on the chip. No
USB specific firmware programming required.
• Fully integrated 1024 bit EEPROM storing
device descriptors and CBUS I/O configuration.
• Fully integrated USB termination resistors.
• Fully integrated clock generation with no
external crystal required plus optional clock
output selection enabling a glue-less interface
to external MCU or FPGA.
• Data transfer rates from 300 baud to 3 Mbaud
(RS422, RS485, RS232 ) at TTL levels.
• 256 byte receive buffer and 128 byte transmit
buffer utilising buffer smoothing technology to
allow for high data throughput.
• FTDI’s royalty-free Virtual Com Port (VCP) and
Direct (D2XX) drivers eliminate the
requirement for USB driver development in
• Unique USB FTDIChip-ID™ feature.
• Configurable CBUS I/O pins.
• Transmit and receive LED drive signals.
• UART interface support for 7 or 8 data bits, 1
or 2 stop bits and odd / even / mark / space /
• FIFO receive and transmit buffers for high data
• Synchronous and asynchronous bit bang
interface options with RD# and WR# strobes.
• Device supplied pre-programmed with unique
USB serial number.
• Supports bus powered, self powered and highpower
bus powered USB configurations.
• Integrated +3.3V level converter for USB I/O.
• Integrated level converter on UART and CBUS
for interfacing to between +1.8V and +5V
• True 5V/3.3V/2.8V/1.8V CMOS drive output
and TTL input.
• Configurable I/O pin output drive strength.
• Integrated power-on-reset circuit.
• Fully integrated AVCC supply filtering - no
external filtering required.
• UART signal inversion option.
• +3.3V (using external oscillator) to +5.25V
(internal oscillator) Single Supply Operation.
• Low operating and USB suspend current.
• Low USB bandwidth consumption.
• UHCI/OHCI/EHCI host controller compatible.
• USB 2.0 Full Speed compatible.
• -40°C to 85°C extended operating temperature
• Available in compact Pb-free 28 Pin SSOP and
QFN-32 packages (both RoHS compliant).